The fifth FABO Story competition has started. Author Sue Copsey has written a story starter. Finish the story your way to enter the competition!
1. Read the story starter and continue the story.
2. We prefer your story to be 500 words or less (not including the story starter). Stories over 550 words will be disqualified.
3. You have two weeks to write your story, so there’s no need to rush! Take your time and send us the best story you can write.
4. Send your story to us by 7pm Friday July 9th (NZ time).
5. The winner of the competition will be announced on this website a few days after the competition closes.
6. Every fortnight there will be a new competition and a children’s author will post a new story starter for you.
7. The competition is open to kids aged 13 and under.
8. The winner will receive a mystery prize donated by Sue!
Sue Copsey’s Story Starter
‘I hope the sky stays clear for tonight,’ said Charlie’s mum. ‘This only happens once in a blue moon.’
‘Once in a red moon, don’t you mean?’ said Dad, helping himself to more salad.
‘Silly me, of course. Red moon.’
‘Blood moon,’ said Charlie. ‘Why does it turn red?’
Charlie regretted the words immediately – Oh no, what have I done? – as Dad reached for a tomato and began, ‘So, imagine this tomato is the sun …’
Ten minutes later, when the large, medium and small tomatoes were back on their plates, Mum said, ‘Well that’s interesting, but where I come from, a blood moon has a different significance.’
‘How so?’ said Dad.
‘Let’s just say, we should keep the bedroom windows shut tonight.’