★ The sixth FABO Story competition for 2021 has started and author Elena De Roo has written a story starter. Finish the story your way, and enter now!
1. Read the story starter and continue the story.
2. We prefer your story to be 500 words or less (not including the story starter). Stories over 550 words will be disqualified.
3. You have two weeks to write your story, so there’s no need to rush! Take your time and send us the best story you can write.
4. Send your story to us by 7pm Friday August 6th (NZ time).
5. The winner of the competition will be announced on this website a few days after the competition closes.
6. Every fortnight there will be a new competition and a children’s author will post a new story starter for you.
7. The competition is open to kids aged 13 and under.
8. The winner will receive a mystery prize donated by the judge.
Elena’s Story Starter
Even though Jono and I both had friends over, the rainy afternoon seemed to be stretching out forever.
“What about baking something,” called Mum from her home office, when Jono and Anaru started chasing each other around the living room, whooping loudly. “There’s a recipe for cupcakes somewhere in Nana’s old scrap book.”
It sounded like a good idea, especially as we could eat them afterwards.
While Ash and I turned the pages, Jono and Anaru looked over our shoulders. The recipes, most of them in Nana’s spidery writing, were dotted with grease spots and had interesting titles, like Tapioca Pudding and Lemon Barley Water.
“Give it here. I’ll find the cupcakes,” said Anaru. He started rifling through the pages and a small square of folded paper fell out. “Bet that’s it.”
The faintly lined paper was yellowed at the edges and almost falling apart along the fold lines. I laid it out carefully on the bench.
~ RECIPE FOR A WISH ~ it began, in Nana’s best printing.