★ The seventh FABO Story competition for 2021 has finished and author Maureen Crisp is reading your stories. She’ll announce a winner shortly.
★ The eighth FABO Story competition for 2021 has started and author Jane Bloomfield has written a story starter. Finish the story your way, and enter now!
★ AND if you’re in New Zealand and you’d like another writing challenge to keep you busy during lockdown, enter the Poetry Box Lockdown Poetry Challenge.
1. Read the story starter and continue the story.
2. We prefer your story to be 500 words or less (not including the story starter). Stories over 550 words will be disqualified.
3. You have two weeks to write your story, so there’s no need to rush! Take your time and send us the best story you can write.
4. Send your story to us by 7pm Friday September 3rd (NZ time).
5. The winner of the competition will be announced on this website a few days after the competition closes.
6. Every fortnight there will be a new competition and a children’s author will post a new story starter for you.
7. The competition is open to kids aged 13 and under.
8. The winner will receive a mystery prize donated by the judge.
Jane’s Story Starter
Mark and Maeve skipped along the dark corridors of McMinty Towers, and into the dining hall. They expected to see their mother sitting at the head of the table. Instead, they found a letter pinned to the top of a large, black chest.
My Dear Twins,
First of all, Happy Birthday!
This chest contains two magical things:
1 x Witch-Starter-Kit &
1 x Wizard- Starter-Kit
Please choose one kit. Choose carefully as you cannot swap your kit once you have chosen. However, Mark may choose the Witch-Starter-Kit, while Maeve might choose the Wizard-Starter-Kit. It doesn’t matter.
Please write down each spell you test, and the results. A few words of warning. When starting out, I advise all young witches and wizards to use their new powers wisely. Because spells, when not followed correctly can go terribly wrong. Terribly wrong!
Good luck. Good luck, I repeat. You will need it.
Yours in witchcraft
Mother Witch McMinty
Mark shrugged his shoulders. Maeve opened the chest …